- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Low vision occurs when an individual’s vision is unable to be corrected with regular glasses, contact lenses, medicine, or surgery. Eye diseases or conditions may be responsible for visual impairment.
Common causes of low vision include: macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, retinitis pigmentosa, retinopathy of prematurity, retinal detachment, cataracts, glaucoma, acquired brain injury.
Common types of low vision include: loss of central vision, loss of peripheral vision, blurred vision, hazy vision, light sensitivity, and night blindness.
Low Vision Solutions
• Spectacle-mounted magnifiers - magnifying lens mounted in spectacles, allowing use of both hands for near activities
• Hand-held or spectacle mounted telescopes - miniature telescopes that are useful for seeing longer distances, such as across the room to watch television
• Hand-held and stand magnifiers - these are convenient for short term reading such as price tags and label
• Video magnification - these can be table-top or head mounted to enlarge reading material. Image brightness, size, contrast, color and illumination can be customized